Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2865 Mount Rainier DR / Parcel ID 5700002515 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1926, the building was purchased by A. W. Brown in May of that year. In April of 1927, he built a garage. Ca 1929, Herman A. and Mary A. Ziebarth moved into the building and remained through 1958. Mr. Ziebarth owned the Yesler Hardware and Plumbing Company. The Ziebarth’s resided previously at 1713 Main. Leonard G. Dilloway purchased the building in December of 1963 for $10,667. Howard T. Strickler purchased the building in September of 1972 for $27,500. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
 
Appearance
Built in 1926, this Tudor Cottage style single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Mr. Rainier Drive on a sloped site at street level. This 1011 square foot, one-and-one-half story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 26’ by 36’, with a 4’ by 8’ stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, stucco-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Closed eaves and eave returns define the roofline. The front gable is divided by a second, lower gable over the front stoop. The casement windows are leaded glass. The stucco is detailed with faux half-timbering with a diamond and half circle pattern in the upper peaks of the gables. The side chimney is also clad in stucco.

Detail for 2865 Mount Rainier DR / Parcel ID 5700002515 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2865 Mount Rainier DR / Parcel ID 5700002515 / Inv #


Photo taken Mar 10, 2004

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0