Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4039 Whitman AVE / Parcel ID 1931300510 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Queen Anne Neighborhood: Wallingford
Built By: Year Built: 1904
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The King County Property Record Card, prepared in 1937, indicates that the structure was erected in 1904 and remodeled in 1909. Property owner and building contractor William J. Henry was issued a permit (#24625) in mid December 1903 to build a 1-1/2 story cottage with attic at 4039 Whitman. The following year, Henry was living there according to Polk’s Seattle Directory. Another permit (#37747) was issued to Henry in September 1905 for completion of the work (Henry seems to have moved to 915 N. 41st Street that year). The basement garage appears to have remodeled in 1921 (permit #201438) by owner George B. Douglas, a salesman who worked for United Coal Sales and later for Fremont Realty. The work seems to have been undertaken in order to meet requirements established by the Fire Marshall. Douglas appears to have acquired the property the previous year. His wife Lela M. Douglas lived there until at least 1927 The house was owned by Joseph M. Elliott, a mechanic and/or driver, and his wife Hattie L. Elliott when it was surveyed by the Assessor in 1937. The couple appears to have acquired the property in 1933 and continued living there until at least 1944. A note on the King County Property Record Card indicates that the house was made into a duplex in 1945 and goes on to record that a new outside stair was added, that the back porch was enclosed to form a bath and kitchen nook, that the upstairs was converted into a three room apartment, and that the interior of the entire structure was renovated. In fact, the conversion was initiated in 1939 (permit #333796) and completed in 1940 (permit #341344) by Elliott. By 1949, the house was occupied by D. O. Lear; however, it appears that Lear’s stay was brief. A permit (#BN 24024) was issued in December 1965 to owner Charles E. Callaway, who had lived in the house since at least 1951, in order to establish for the record that a duplex existed at the site. Donald Fisher appears to have purchased the property in 1966 and Noble Home LLC bought the house from Fisher in 1997. The current owners, Christoph Goschel and C. Chapman, purchased the house in 1998. Nyberg and Steinbrueck identified this structure as a building of significance to the Wallingford community. The building is characterized by a unique combination of elements drawn from the late Queen Anne and Shingle styles as well as the early Craftsman style. The resulting combination of elements is quite idiomatic.
 
Appearance
This is a 1-1/2 story, clapboard clad frame duplex with attic built over a full basement on a concrete foundation. The structure exhibits an eclectic mix of primarily Queen Anne and Shingle style elements but the designer has made use of some emerging craftsman ideas as well. The slope of the main roof, the use of several roof forms, the enclosed soffits at many of the roof overhangs, the placement and style of the windows, and the variety in design and complexity of the bays, several of which extend from the elevations of the building, are all characteristics associated with late Queen Anne work. The broad gables at the wide side elevations, and the curved wall surfaces are typical of the Shingle style. The wide bargeboards, the porch running across the front of the house, and the built up wood posts defining the corners of the porch are all elements that became more popular with the emergence of the Craftsman bungalow. Although the back porch has been enclosed, and although the public record suggests that the interior has been remodeled at least once, and although there seem to be a number of small additions extruding from the southwest corner or the structure, most of these changes are not clearly visible from the street and no other significant modifications are apparent.

Detail for 4039 Whitman AVE / Parcel ID 1931300510 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Concrete, Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Community Planning/Development
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4039 Whitman AVE / Parcel ID 1931300510 / Inv #


Photo taken Mar 11, 2004

Photo taken Mar 10, 2004
App v2.0.1.0