Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2505 3rd ST / Parcel ID 0656000160 / Inv #

Historic Name: Trianon Ballroom Common Name: Trianon Building
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Belltown
Built By: Year Built: 1926
The Trianon Ballroom was designed by Warren H. Milner in 1926 (permit #263664). It became the "nerve center of Seattle's swing era" during the 1930s-40s, when big bands such as Duke Ellington, Guy Lombardo and Lionel Hampton and artists like Quincy Jones and Ray Charles played here often. Newspapers called it "a gala glittering dreamland," with walls decorated with tropical scenes and a silver clamshell hood sheltering the bandstand. It was the largest ballroom in the Northwest, with a springy dance floor made of maple that accommodated more than 5,000 dancers, plus seating for 800 around the floor and upstairs. During the war, thousands lined up in the street, and dances went until 5 AM for swing-shift workers. According to the book Jackson Street after Hours (Paul DeBarros), it was said that more people met their spouses here than anywhere else in Seattle. The dance hall closed in 1956 when entertainment fashions changed. It was remodeled and used briefly for wrestling exhibitions, but was converted to retail use (Gov-Mart) in the late 1950s. In 1985 it underwent a complete remodel by the firm Anderson Koch Duarte, with stores on the ground level and offices above. Its appearance was changed significantly. The building originally had a Mediterranean look, with an open arcade with 16 arched balconies and a dramatic tower on Wall Street. The tower has been considerably reduced and the balconies converted to terraces. A new canopy at the front entrances was installed in 1990, and further interior remodeling was done in 1997.
This building occupies the entire eastern half of the block, with the current office entry in the middle of the building on 3rd Avenue and another entry on the south. The building is of concrete construction with the only ornament being the arches that are a recurring motif. Along Third Avenue, the northern part of the façade is a long series of two-story arched windows, along what was once an arcade; above are large rooftop decks on the thrid story. At the south end of this façade and along the entire south façade are large modern display windows. The south entry has a remnant of the original Mission-style parapet with three tall arches. The alley elevation has a garage entrance.

Detail for 2505 3rd ST / Parcel ID 0656000160 / Inv #

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Concrete, Other Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Recreation and Culture - Music facility Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Poured No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Entertainment/Recreation
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
City of Seattle, Department of Planning and Development, Microfilm Records.

Photo collection for 2505 3rd ST / Parcel ID 0656000160 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 18, 2007

Photo taken Mar 18, 2007
App v2.0.1.0