Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4715 BEACON AVE / Parcel ID 3677900015 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1931
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1931, this building was occupied by Frank W. and Elizabeth P. Audsley by 1938. Mr. Audsley was a salesperson for North Coast Chemical and Soap Works. Carysfort F. Lloyd-Young purchased the building in August of 1939 and remained through 1961. In 1945, a garage was added. Peter Ivanovich purchased the building in October of 1962 for $19,400 and remained through 1965. By 1968, Loring Thomas lived in the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1931, this Tudor Revival style single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Beacon Avenue South on a flat site at street level. This 1234 square foot, two-story house with a full basement features an L-shaped plan, measuring approximately 22’ by 33’, with a small front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick and clapboard clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the gable and gambrel roof and shed roof dormer. Minimal eave and gable overhangs with rake trim in the gable ends define the roofline. Multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. A brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 4715 BEACON AVE / Parcel ID 3677900015 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood - Clapboard, Brick - Common Bond Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gambrel Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 4715 BEACON AVE / Parcel ID 3677900015 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 12, 2004

Photo taken Mar 12, 2004
App v2.0.1.0