Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2330 34th AVE / Parcel ID 5700001845 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1912
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1912 at a cost of $6,000 by McAboy & Holt (William E. and William P.), general contactors and builders, and designed by Seattle architect, Elmer E. Green, this building was occupied by 1913 by Anna C. and Lloyd L. Hillman. In 1913, the Hillman’s retained Elmer E. Green and local builder, G. Gatt, to construct a garage addition. Mr. Hillman was president of Lloyd Hillman Lumber Company, exporter and shippers of Pacific Coast lumber and Red Cedar shingles. Mr. Lloyd was previously employed as vice president and general manager of Carsteus and Earles, Inc. In 1951, Julius Shain purchased the building. In March of 1970, Richard Alan Bushley purchased the building for $32,000. Architect Elmer Ellsworth Green worked in Seattle from 1907 through 1922. He advertised the sale of house plans in Seattle as early as 1907. Green published a book of house plans, Practical Plan Book, in 1912, described as an “attractive catalogue of plans with drawings and photographs for 60 different houses that cost up to $10,000.” Green designed dozens of houses and apartment buildings in Seattle neighborhoods including Mount Baker, Capitol Hill, and the Central Area, such as the William W. Felger residence (1915) and the Ben Lomond Apartment Hotel (1910). Among the houses he designed in Mount Baker are the Clifton A. Stuart house (1913), 3105 Cascadia Ave South and the Hillman house, 2330 34th Ave South (1912). The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
 
Appearance
Built in 1912, this Craftsman-influenced, Arts & Crafts style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Thirty-Fourth Avenue on a sloped site at street level. This 1586 square foot, one-and-half story house with a full daylight basement features a nearly square plan, measuring approximately 38’ by 40’, with a 3’ by 20’ front porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, shingle-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the side gable roof and gable roof dormer. Broad overhanging open eaves and gable ends with exposed rafters, decoratively cut bargeboards and decorative exposed trusses in the gable ends define the roofline. Double hung wood sash windows having multiple lite upper sash provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs leads to the front entrance sheltered by a projecting gable roof supported on battered river rock piers carrying short posts. River rock chimneys service the building. The notable decorative truss work, bargeboards and river rock chimney and porch set this building apart as unique within the neighborhood.

Detail for 2330 34th AVE / Parcel ID 5700001845 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Dietz, Duane, “Architects and Landscape Architects of Seattle, 1876 to 1959 and Beyond,” unpublished paper. University of Washington Libraries, July 1993.
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 2330 34th AVE / Parcel ID 5700001845 / Inv #


Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken

Photo taken Mar 10, 2004

Photo taken Mar 10, 2004
App v2.0.1.0