Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2514 Nob Hill PL / Parcel ID 169890-0175 / Inv #

Historic Name: Maxeiner, Alois & Bernice, House Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1928
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
Colonial Park, an area of several blocks on Queen Anne’s north slope, was platted in 1925 by Bena Lorentz, wife of John Lorentz, a prominent local contractor. Despite the plat's name, it contains primarily variations on the Tudor Revival style. This is a good example of a "builder's Tudor," one of the most popular styles in Seattle in the 1920s. They have characteristics of the Tudor style such as steep gable roofs, leaded windows and half-timbering, but on a relatively modest scale. This house was noted in Historic Seattle's 1970s survey for its decorative brickwork and front bay with diamond-paned casement windows. It was built in 1928 by local builders Coleman and Haggen, using day laborers. It was evidently built on speculation and the first owner is not known. In 1936 it was owned by Arthur C. Kuse, the treasurer of Trusteed Annuities, Inc., and his wife Esta. However, the primary owners were F. Alois and Bernice Maxeiner, who purchased the house in 1941 and remained here until about 1996. The Maxeiners owned the Model Electric Bakery.
This house has a gable-and-wing form with clipped gables and a small gabled entry porch at the junction of the two wings. Above the entry, at the angle of the two roofs, is a small shed dormer. Cladding is red brick laid in a large diamond pattern between the two front windows with zigzags flanking the second-story bay window. The bay, which projects about one foot, is clad with wood with three octagonal cutouts; it has three casement windows with leaded diamond-paned glass and a shed roof. Below on the first floor are two large picture windows, one slightly larger than the other. At least one of these appears to be original, based on the 1938 photograph; however, they are obscured by awnings in the photo. The entry porch, at the south of the front elevation, has an arched doorway, with a decorative brick diamond above it. Below the northern picture window is a garage door with a hood similar to that on the bay window.

Detail for 2514 Nob Hill PL / Parcel ID 169890-0175 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Metal
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 2514 Nob Hill PL / Parcel ID 169890-0175 / Inv #

Photo taken Aug 16, 2004
App v2.0.1.0