Based on field work conducted in September 2014, this historic property retains its relationship to the streetscape, historic building form and a sufficient amount of exterior historic building fabric (design features, cladding and/or window sash/openings) to contribute to the distinct character of the Georgetown neighborhood. This is an intact historic property that may possess some limited architectural and/or historic significance. Constructed in 1940 as a one story, 5-room family dwelling with full basement for Otto A. and Anna Sturham who purchased the lot on 1-31-1940. The building permit (# 339053) was issued Jul 15-1940 and identified the construction cost as $4,150, the architect as Howard H. Riley and the builder as F.A. Straub. Mr. Sturham and Mr. Straub were both from Kent, WA. This gabled house exhibits Minimal Traditional design features indicative of this construction era. According to King County tax records it was originally clad with wide (10”) cedar siding, exhibited tight eaves without gable end returns, a cutaway front gable entry porch and distinctive three-part window sash members. The original construction was completed by 9-22-1941 and included a 20’x 20’ garage. Ownership as of 2-23-1962 was changed to Victor M. Markov. There appears to have had a small porch addition made in c.1946.
Biographical info: Howard Huston Riley (August 21, 1890-December 23, 1950). Born in Lima, Ohio; arrived in Seattle by 1910 and worked as a drafter; studied architecture at University of Pennsylvania, 1910-12; in partnerhip Yelland & Riley with Louis Yelland (May 1876-?), Victoria, B.C., 1912-14, and Seattle, 1914; designed “Tanhaven” (William V. Coon residence), Victoria, (1913; altered), J. V. Perks residence, Fairfield, B.C. (1913); employed by B. Marcus Priteca, Seattle, 1915-16; by Link & Haire, Butte, Montana, 1916-17; by Edwin J. Ivey in 1918; in partnership Ivey & Riley, 1918-21; designed Flora Hahn house, Seattle (1919), L. A. Levensale residence, Seattle (1920), Frank H. Cooper residence, Lake Forest Park (1921); in private practice after 1921; designed Fremont Baptist Church, Seattle (1924), Alpha Chi Omega (now Alpha Xi Delta) sorority house, Seattle (1926); Brooklyn Building, Seattle (1928-29; destroyed, 1970), A. J. Eyerdam residence, Seattle (1941); died in Seattle. [Credit: Shaping Seattle Architecture, 2014]
This property is directly associated with an era between 1916 and 1942 when the character of the community began to be changed by social factors, the acceleration of industrialization and associated economic impacts. Due to the instigation of Prohibition in 1916, all breweries closed and brought an abrupt end to their dominance within local industry. Prohibition not only closed down the large local brewery operations but also Georgetown’s infamous roadhouses and saloons. The completion of the Duwamish Waterway in 1917 created additional cheap factory sites with efficient shipping facilities. The establishment of manufacturing businesses such as the Boeing Aircraft Company signaled the new economic direction for the geographic area. Due to the increasing introduction of industrialization within the community, in 1923 it was zoned exclusively for such uses; however, home owners and builders continued to construct new homes and local businesses throughout the era. Inexpensive land and depression era federal programs stimulated residential construction and by 1942 city planners were forced by the community to rezone the residential areas. Major factors in housing development during this era were the opening in 1928 of Seattle's first municipal airport (Boeing Field) and the establishment in 1935 of Boeing Company Plant 2 on the west side of Boeing Field. By the end of World War II, 6,981 B-17 bombers had been produced there. At peak production, the facility operated three shifts, seven days a week and employed thousands of workers.
Sources of Information:
“Historic Property Survey Report: Georgetown (Seattle, WA)” City of Seattle 1997
Property Record Cards 1937-1972, Puget Sound Regional Archives
Sanborn Insurance Maps: 1904-05 (Vol.1 pl.89-98), 1917 (Vol.3 pl. 353-54 & 357-59), 1929-1949 (Vol.8 pl. 869-72 & 1301-1317).