Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4002 Corliss AVE / Parcel ID 9178600900 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Colonial Neighborhood: Wallingford
Built By: Year Built: 1927
 
Significance
This house was erected in 1927. It was built by John C. Hill, a carpenter who apparently lived at 2158 N. 50th Street, for Andrew Nygaard (spelled Nygard in city directories), who listed his address as 1413 N. 38th Street on the permit application. According to Polk’s Seattle Directory, the owner was himself a carpenter and cabinetmaker. The name of the structure’s designer is not recorded in the public record. The existing basement garage, entered from N. 40th Street, is an original component of the design. The upper floor appears to have been unfinished when the Assessor surveyed the property in 1937. However, the former attic has since been converted to usable residential space and is now in use. This structure combines elements of colonial and craftsman bungalow detailing and is significant as an intact, well-maintained and skillfully composed example of eclectic design. The builders of housing in Seattle’s north end in the decade following the First World War often employed this approach to design and organization and detailing.
 
Appearance
This is a 1-1/2 story clapboard-clad frame residence on a concrete foundation over a full basement. The moderate slope of the roof, the close cornice and cornice returns at the gable ends, the enclosed soffits at the eaves, and the centered entry porch with Tuscan columns and built-up wood entablature are all components of the structure typically associated with the colonial revival style. However, several of the windows are configured in a manner more typical of craftsman bungalow design, and the two eyebrow dormers placed symmetrically on the west facing slope of the main roof are stylistic elements held over from the late Queen Anne era. The gable-over-hip form of the porch roof allows the eave of the main roof to be extended around the perimeter of the porch while providing a west-facing gable that also functions as a pediment for the entry portico. Two identical window assemblies are located in the center of the wall to either side of the entry door. Each consists of a wide central double-hung unit with upper sash divided into six unequal lights by a horizontal muntin stretching from rail to rail a short distance from the top of the sash and by two vertical muntins stretching from top to bottom at about the same distance from the sides of the sash. The resulting arrangement of lights in this sash is a typical feature of double hung windows used in this structure and of craftsman style bungalows in general. To either side of the central unit is a tall fixed window divided in half by a vertical muntin and subdivided by two short muntins that cross the vertical bar a short distance from the top and bottom of the unit. The south elevation of the main structure features a double-hung window centered in the gable. Another double-hung unit is situated near the front end of the south wall. Centered below the latter unit is a three light basement window. The back entry is a prominent feature of a gable-roofed wing extending to the south from the east half of the south elevation. The back porch is approached by a stair climbing up the south façade of the wing from the west and is protected by a small, hipped roof supported by two large scroll-cut timber brackets and by solid, clapboard-clad porch railings. Double-hung windows are more or less centered in the wall to either side of the door. The two windows are similarly configured but are not the same size. Paired style and rail doors provide access to the basement garage to the east of the back porch. Both leaves are glazed with six equal lights each. A prominent chimney at the westernmost third point of the north elevation appears to be flanked by two craftsman style windows in typical bungalow manner. A pair of double hung windows is centered in the north gable above. Two additional windows, separated by a small cased opening that probably once was a vent, illuminate the back end of the main level at this elevation. The windows at the east (rear) facade of the house are not divided. A small fixed window is located at the south end of the rear façade and a large double-hung unit is located toward the north end. Two large double hung units are paired at the middle of the elevation. Aluminum storm windows have been added at most window openings. No other significant modifications are apparent.

Detail for 4002 Corliss AVE / Parcel ID 9178600900 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Community Planning/Development
Integrity
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4002 Corliss AVE / Parcel ID 9178600900 / Inv #


Photo taken Aug 12, 2004
App v2.0.1.0