Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2701 Mount Saint Helens PL / Parcel ID 5700002650 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1912
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1912, this building was designed by Seattle architect, Charles Haynes, and owned by Robert B. and Florence E. Kellog. F. H. Bennett was the builder. Mr. Kellog was a produce broker at 67 Madison. Nathan C. and Belle C. Phillips purchased the building in July of 1915. Mr. Phillips was secretary treasurer for G. D. Phillips Company. The Phillips’ remained in the house through 1940. The Phillips’ previously lived at 3132 Cascadia Avenue. Mr. Phillips, Senior lived at 2706 Mount Saint Helens Place South. Frank R. Yeager lived in the building by 1943. By 1955 through 1968, Albert W. Cramer lived in the building. Architect Charles Haynes established a Seattle office, Haynes and Cantin, in 1907 and worked in partnership with several other architects over the years. Charles Haynes was the official architect for the Hunter Tract Improvement Company and designed many houses in Mount Baker Park. Among these are the Robert B. Kellogg house (1912) at 2701 Mt. St. Helens Place, the Hunter Improvement Company house (1913) at 2855 Mt. Rainier Drive, the Frank Buty house (1915) at 3704 South Ridgeway Place, and the house (1915) at 2659 Cascadia South. Haynes also designed Butterworth Mortuary in Seattle and many revival style houses, apartment houses and commercial projects in Seattle and Aberdeen. He died in Seattle in 1940. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1912, this substantial, Craftsman-influenced, Arts & Crafts style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Mount Saint Helens Place South on a sloped site at street level. This 1128 square foot, two-story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring 30’ by 37’, with a small front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, shingle-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the side gable roof. This building is one of the few examples of substantial brackets supporting the massive decoratively-cut purlins in the gable ends. Broad eave and gable overhangs with exposed rafter ends define the roofline. Notable second story projections occur on the building’s west and south sides. The south side projection leaves the first story portion of the brick chimney exposed while the upper story portion integrates into the projecting second story. Multiple lite wood single hung and casement windows provide day lighting. Windows feature painted wood trim. A short flight of concrete stairs leads to the front entrance. Exposed framing extending from the projecting second story forms a roof over the stoop. Brick piers carry the wood posts supporting the exposed framing.

Detail for 2701 Mount Saint Helens PL / Parcel ID 5700002650 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 2701 Mount Saint Helens PL / Parcel ID 5700002650 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken

Photo taken Mar 10, 2004
App v2.0.1.0