Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3519 Wallingford AVE / Parcel ID 4083306205 / Inv #

Historic Name: North House Common Name: North House
Style: Queen Anne Neighborhood: Wallingford
Built By: Year Built: 1901
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The North House was constructed in 1901. Edward E. North (b. 1870), the first house owner, had lived in Seattle for ten years, originally employed as a barber. In 1898, the Union Electric Company, one of the city’s numerous street car and electric companies, hired North as a lineman. In June 1901 North, listed as the builder, obtained a building permit for a 1 ½ story 36 x 20 foot house. The property was about five blocks away from the Green Lake street car line that ran down Woodland Park Ave N. By the end of 1901, North, his wife Mabel (b. 1873), and their children; a son, age 5, and a daughter, age 2, moved from Green Lake to their new house in Edgewater. By that time the Seattle Electric Company had hired North as Superintendent of Construction. Seattle Electric was in the process of buying out all 13 Seattle streetcar and electric companies. After just a year North left Seattle Electric to work as Assistant Superintendent for the Independent Telephone Company. Telephones were slowly becoming widely used in the city, increasing from just 1,500 telephones at the beginning of 1898 to just over 6,000 phones distributed amongst the city’s businesses and 100,000 residents by early 1902. In the next two years, the number of telephones in Seattle tripled. North continued to live in the house and work for the telephone company until 1908 when he left town seeking employment elsewhere. Later occupants. Arthur B. and wife Carolyn A. Hornbeck purchased the house in 1919, converted it into a duplex, and for about 20 years lived in one unit and rented the other. Arthur Hornbeck worked at Hamilton Junior High School as a janitor. During World War II Leon F. and Carolyn I. Miller and Lewis C. and Minnie Ackles occupied the house. By the late 1940s, there were four apartments in the building occupied by Boeing employee Robert G. and Betty J. Paulos, painter Frank and Mary Lista, American Mail Line employee Mrs Hazel R. Durant, and machine operator Edward A. and Edith A. Warwick who lived there to at least 1954. Also in 1954 serviceman Lewis A. and Lois J. Boyd and David W. and Zina Ristig rented apartments. David Ristig was a cutter at Northwest Envelope Manufacturing Company. During the 1962 Worlds Fair, two of the apartments were occupied by Safeway grocery store butcher Henry and Mary M. Dunn and Mrs. Alice M. Sloniker. In 1975 Historic Seattle conducted a survey of the Wallingford neighborhood and listed the residence as Significant to the Community. A field survey of the residence was conducted by the 1979 Seattle Survey. The residence appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old) and minimal alterations.
The Queen Anne vernacular style North House was built in 1901 (permit # 8404). During the winter of 1903-1904 a 14 x 16 foot rear (west) addition for a kitchen and bathroom was constructed (permit # 24448). In 1920 the rear addition was extended along the west elevation. At this time the building was converted into a duplex (permit # 189692). In 1939 it was converted into three living units and 17 years later one more unit was added (permits #s 332296 and 444899). The east elevation of the side gable residence has a full width porch with a large three sided bay window that extends above the shed porch roof as a gable wing. The porch roof is supported by circular columns. The south elevation has a two story three sided bay window with a hip roof. The second story has fishscale and diamond shingles. Nearly all doublehung windows are single sash.

Detail for 3519 Wallingford AVE / Parcel ID 4083306205 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. “Wallingford: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources.” Seattle: Historic Seattle, 1975.

Photo collection for 3519 Wallingford AVE / Parcel ID 4083306205 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 23, 2004
App v2.0.1.0