Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1551 10th AVE / Parcel ID 2025049121 / Inv #

Historic Name: Leary, Eliza Ferry, House Common Name: Diocesan House
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1904-07
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This 2-1/2 story mansion was built in 1904-07 from designs by Alfred Bodley, for John and Eliza Ferry Leary. It is prominently sited at the edge of Capitol Hill, where it originally sat on fifteen acres of wooded property. The property also accommodated a house for Eliza's brother, Pierre Ferry at 1531 10th Avenue E., built in 1903. John Leary died in California in 1905, before the house's completion. His widow lived here until her death in 1935. The Red Cross used the house as its headquarters until 1948, when it was purchased by the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia for use as its diocesan offices. Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast called this one of the best known residences in Seattle, and Woodbridge considers it one of Seattle's most extravagant and significant homes. It originally had large landscaped grounds that contributed to the atmosphere of an English estate. Woodbridge notes its "distinctive massing" and "impressive stone entrance composition." Calvert comments on the "baronial front of heavy stone masonry" and the a[pproach through trees. The home's original Tiffany stained glass window is now on display at the Burke Museum at the University of washington.
 
Appearance
This large house combines Tudor half-timbering and stucco with heavy ashlar masonry in the English Arts and Crafts style. The south fa├žade is heavy cut granite, with the main entry through a square tower. Adjoining it is a large two-story hanging bay with a gabled roof, clad with half-timbered stucco. The other side of the entry has a small rounded bay, also half timbered. The north elevation has more half-timbered bays, and a smaller section clad with stone. The west elevation, facing the view, has a flat-roofed single-story sunroom. Most of the windows throughout have elaborate leaded glass in various patterns. Windows throughout have a variety of elaborate leaded glss, with some plain casements. The building is surrounded with expansive gardens and small parking areas. .

Detail for 1551 10th AVE / Parcel ID 2025049121 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stone, Stucco Foundation(s):
Roof Type(s): Flat, Gable Roof Material(s):
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: No. of Stories: three
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Religion
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Calvert, Frank. Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast. Vol. 1, Seattle. Beaux Arts Village: Beaux Arts Society Publishers, 1913.
Swope, Caroline T. Classic Houses of Seattle: High Style to Vernacular 1870-1950. Portland OR: Timber Press, 2005.

Photo collection for 1551 10th AVE / Parcel ID 2025049121 / Inv #


Photo taken May 15, 2007

Photo taken Mar 12, 2007

Photo taken May 12, 2007
App v2.0.1.0