Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1611 S FOREST ST S / Parcel ID 3086003351 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1924
Built in 1924, this building, was constructed after the Beacon Hill Congregation Church purchased the property in April of 1912. By 1931 through 1955, Reverend James W. and Mildred M. Skerry lived in the building. Reverend Skerry was the church pastor. By 1961 through 1968, Mary L. Warner lived in the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1924, this substantial, Craftsman-influenced, Arts & Crafts style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to South Forest Street on a flat site above street level. This 864 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 24’ by 36’, with a front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the front gable roof and wall dormer. Eave and gable overhangs with exposed rafters, brackets, purlins and modest bargeboards define the roofline. Paired and single wood sash 1:1 windows with some alterations provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. Wood piers on brick bases support the low-pitched gable stoop roof. An external brick chimney services the building. This building is a basic example of an Arts & Crafts style dwelling within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 1611 S FOREST ST S / Parcel ID 3086003351 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 1611 S FOREST ST S / Parcel ID 3086003351 / Inv #

Photo taken

Photo taken Nov 11, 2003

Photo taken Nov 11, 2003
App v2.0.1.0