Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2816 17th AVE / Parcel ID 7319900060 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts, Vernacular Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1917
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1917, this building was owned by Bert and Mary Jessen. Mr. Jessen was a contractor. In 1923, the Jessen’s resided at 2530 Beacon Avenue. Carmino DeLauro purchased the building in December of 1930. By 1938, Wilton A. Secord lived in the building, followed in 1942 by Wilbur C. Malone. Mr. Malone remained in the building through 1968. A neighborhood of Italian immigrants and their businesses developed in the North Rainier Valley and northeast Beacon Hill. Starting around 1900, Italian immigrants came to Seattle to work in coal mines and as construction laborers and farmers. The Italian immigrants may have settled in this area because of its inexpensive housing, convenient location near downtown, and potential for small farm plots in the North Rainier Valley. This neighborhood, which became known as “Garlic Gulch” or “Little Italy,” centered on South Atlantic Street and Rainier Avenue South. In 1915, about 200 families lived in a 90-square-block area along Rainier Avenue from Lane Street on the north to Mount Baker Park on the south. Many Italian-owned businesses were located in the area, including food imports, Borracchini’s Bakery, Oberto Sausage Company, produce stands, grocery stores, a nursery (Malmo’s), drug stores, and other shops. Our Lady of Mount Virgin Catholic Church at 1531 Bradner Place South, built in 1913, was the hub of the Italian community and operated a Catholic School that offered Italian lessons. Most of the remaining structures in the Italian neighborhood were razed during construction of I-90 in the 1970s and 1980s. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1917, this low, Arts & Crafts style, single-family bungalow stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Seventeenth Avenue South on a flat site at street level. This 1040 square foot, single-story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 26’ by 40’, with a 24’ by 6’ front porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard and stucco (upper portion) clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the low-pitched front gable roof. Prominent bargeboards, eave and gable overhangs with exposed rafters, purlins and braces define the roofline. Wood sash windows with leaded panes and painted wood casings provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the front porch. Substantial piers carried on brick bases support the upper portion of the house extended over the front porch. Brick chimneys service the building. The rake trim and porch supports set this building apart as distinctive within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 2816 17th AVE / Parcel ID 7319900060 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."
Nicandri, David L. Italians in Washington State: Emigration 1853-1924. Olympia, WA: Washington State American Revolution Commission, 1978.
Roe, Nellie Virginia. “The Italian Immigrant in Seattle,” Master of Arts Thesis, University of Washington, 1915.

Photo collection for 2816 17th AVE / Parcel ID 7319900060 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 11, 2003

Photo taken Nov 11, 2003

Photo taken

Photo taken Mar 08, 2004
App v2.0.1.0