Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4430 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 095200-6200 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: O'Neill Realty Common Name: Primp Salon
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1923
 
Significance

This 1923 building is associated with the early development of the West Seattle Junction business district. It has been altered with new cladding and display windows. Now owned by the Eagles chapter next door, originally housed one of the Junction's few auto-oriented businesses, the Junction Auto Top Shop and was later O'Neill Realty, other real estate agents or hair salons/barbers.

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.

 

 
Appearance

This very small building has a false front façade with rounded edges, clad with heavily-laid stucco.  The recessed entry, at the center, has two steps. It is flanked by display windows with newer metal sash. The side and rear facades are clad with vertical boards. A secondary entry is at the rear.

Detail for 4430 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 095200-6200 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Business Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Politics/Government/Law
Integrity
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1910-1948.

Photo collection for 4430 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 095200-6200 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 10, 2016
App v2.0.1.0