Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4718 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0030 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: New Luck Toy Cafe Common Name: Talarico's Restaurant
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1950

This building was built in 1950 as a Chinese restaurant, New Luck Toy, which it remained for many years. It was remodeled in 1968 and again recently. Although it is now an Italian restaurant, it retains the distinctive tiled roof, but has a new wooden storefront.  

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.




This one-story masonry building has a distinctive curved pent roof clad with clay barrel tile extending the width of the façade. The façade is clad primarily with newer stained wood boards, laid horizontally, with a band of fixed windows and a recessed entry at the south end.


Detail for 4718 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0030 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Restaurant Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Block No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Storefront: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for 4718 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0030 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Mar 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0