Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4722 Latona AVE / Parcel ID 8818900105 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: Wallingford
Built By: Year Built: 1909
 
Significance
This house, called “the Judge’s House” by some of the near neighbors, was erected in 1909. It was built and perhaps also designed by the initial owner, Carl H. Reeves, a transitman with Seattle Electric Company, who listed his address as 5247 14th Avenue N. E. on the permit application. In 1918, Mr. Reeves was in the army. By 1919 he was described in the directory as a civil engineer and by 1921 he had apparently risen to the position of Superintendent of the City Department of Public Utilities. However, there is no record of him ever being described as a judge. A two-car garage was erected for Carl Reeves in 1921 according to the permit record for this property. However, Mr. Reeves appears to have died in 1921 or 1922, as only the name of his wife, Clara H. Reeves, is associated with this address from 1922 to 1973 Keith Anderson apparently described himself as the homeowner when he applied for a permit to rebuild the garage in 1970-71. However, it is not clear that Anderson ever actually owned the property. His address was listed as “4722a Latona” in Polk’s city directory for 1972. According to the King County Property Record Card, Robert Stewart owned the house beginning that year, but Stewart is only listed as a resident from 1974 to1979. Christopher R. Otorawaki, an attorney with Bassett, Gemson & Morrison, occupied the house from 1980 until 1984; John and Judy Truog lived there from 1985 to 1991. The Truogs sold the house to the current owners in 1991 Interior alterations to the third floor office were underway for the current owners in 2004 when the property was survey for this historic resource survey. This space was accessible but unfinished when the Assessor surveyed the property in 1937. This structure is significant as a rare example of neoclassical design in the neighborhood. Though classical elements are found in a variety of colonial revival style structure in Wallingford, they are typically associated with Dutch colonial homes or are applied to bungalows and American foursquare houses. The double-height columns at the entry of this structure are unique in Wallingford. The structure is identified as a property of significance to the community by Folke Nyberg and Victor Steinbrueck in "Wallingford: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
 
Appearance
This is a 2-1/2 story, clapboard clad frame residence on a concrete foundation over a full basement. The formality and symmetry of the design, which includes a centered, double-height entry portico with two-story octagonal Tuscan columns supporting a pedimented porch cover and an upper level balcony somewhat reminiscent of ante-bellum plantation home architecture, and the balanced placement of the windows identify the building as an example of neoclassical design. The relatively broad overhangs, featuring enclosed soffits, appear to be supported by regularly spaced flat brackets that might also be described as decorative ceiling joist extensions. These trim pieces give the structure a slight Italianate feel. The entry door is on the central axis of the west (front) elevation. It is flanked by sidelights each featuring leaded glass in an extended “double-house” design. A pair of narrow doors, also on the central axis, open to the balcony from the second floor above. Four large double-hung windows, each with a small, undivided upper sash over a much larger undivided lower sash, are symmetrically placed either side of the entry portico, two at the main level and two at the upper level. The south and north elevations are very similar, although the north elevation is more difficult to see from the street. Each features large double-hung windows similar to those at the front of the house. At the north elevation, there are four such windows arranged symmetrically about the axis of the façade, two at the main level and two at the upper level. A smaller window, that appears to be a double-hung unit, is centered in the gable. At the south elevation, two small fixed windows at the east end of the second floor disturb the symmetry of the design, standing in place of one of the large double-hung units. The window opening in the gable features a pair of casements. The east (rear) elevation is not visible from the street. The detached garage, located at the southeast corner of the site, was a side gabled building with a front facing dormer designed to accommodate two cars when the Assessor surveyed it in 1937. The present structure appears to be smaller and has a street side gable with close cornice. The attic was being remodeled when the house was surveyed in 2004; however, it does not appear that this work will significantly change the exterior appearance of the house. As noted above, the garage has been substantially altered. No other significant modifications are apparent.

Detail for 4722 Latona AVE / Parcel ID 8818900105 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Cross/Cruciform
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Community Planning/Development
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4722 Latona AVE / Parcel ID 8818900105 / Inv #


Photo taken Aug 19, 2004

Photo taken Aug 19, 2004
App v2.0.1.0