Based on field work conducted in September 2014, this historic property retains its relationship to the streetscape, historic building form and a sufficient amount of exterior historic building fabric (design features, cladding and/or window sash/openings) to contribute to the distinct character of the Georgetown neighborhood. This is a partly altered historic property that may possess some limited architectural and/or historic significance. Constructed in 1921 as a one-story, 4-room family dwelling for C.W. Reames, who purchased the lot 5-9-1919. This house type/form (front gable with full width shed-roof entry porch) exhibits distinctive Craftsman design features indicative of the era. According to King County tax records it was originally clad with narrow horizontal cedar siding and shingles (at gable), included a square bay window and kneebraces, exposed rafter ends, wide overhangs and barge boards. The enclosed entry porch appears to have been an original feature or an early alteration. Subsequent owner: Everett Bowen, purchased 4-4-1958.
This property is directly associated with an era between 1916 and 1942 when the character of the community began to be changed by social factors, the acceleration of industrialization and associated economic impacts. Due to the instigation of Prohibition in 1916, all breweries closed and brought an abrupt end to their dominance within local industry. Prohibition not only closed down the large local brewery operations but also Georgetown’s infamous roadhouses and saloons. The completion of the Duwamish Waterway in 1917 created additional cheap factory sites with efficient shipping facilities. The establishment of manufacturing businesses such as the Boeing Aircraft Company signaled the new economic direction for the geographic area. Due to the increasing introduction of industrialization within the community, in 1923 it was zoned exclusively for such uses; however, home owners and builders continued to construct new homes and local businesses throughout the era. Inexpensive land and depression era federal programs stimulated residential construction and by 1942 city planners were forced by the community to rezone the residential areas.
Sources of Information:
Baist’s Real Estate Survey 1912, pl. 22 & 29
“Historic Property Survey Report: Georgetown (Seattle, WA)” City of Seattle 1997
KC Property Record Cards 1937-1972, Puget Sound Regional Archives
Sanborn Insurance Maps: 1904-05 (Vol.1 pl.89-98), 1917 (Vol.3 pl. 353-54 & 357-59), 1929-1949 (Vol.8 pl. 869-72 & 1301-1317).