Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 416 E Roy ST E / Parcel ID 051020-0000 / Inv #

Historic Name: Bamberg Common Name: Bamberg
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1910
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This elegant apartment building was designed in 1910 by architect John Corrigan for Charles H. Bamberg, a brick contractor who acted as contractor for the building. It had fourteen 4-room apartments and elegant features such as central refrigeration. Apartment construction in Seattle began during the first decade of the 20th century, and grew rapidly to accommodate the vast influx of new arrivals, many of whom were young singles. In the years following the 1897 Klondike gold rush the city grew dramatically, doubling between 1890 and 1900 and nearly tripling again by 1910, to 237,194. Capitol Hill was a particularly popular area for apartments, because of its easy streetcar access to downtown. The Bamberg is a good example of the elegant materials and design used to help many apartments blend in to the areas that were primarily single family at the time they were built.
 
Appearance
This elegant building is characteristic of this early period of apartment development, with deep eaves with modillions, a prominent center entry and recessed balconies on the two floors above the entry. The entry is particularly elegant, with marble stairs and walls, a wood-and-glass door and a large transom of leaded beveled glass. The sidelights are of plain glass. The entry surround is of cast stone, scored to look like ashlar stone; extending across the entry is a deep cornice with dentils and modillions. The center bay of the second and third floors above the entry have turned balustrades of cast stone. The 1938 photo indicates that these windows may have been recessed porches originally, but the recesses now contain pairs of one-over-one windows. The central bay is outlined in grey ashlar stone, with the same material for quoins and a belt course above the top floor windows. Another belt course of cast stone runs below the second floor windows; this material is used as keystones above each window and as sills for the first and third floor windows. Other windows are also one-over-one dark metal sash. The foundation is of concrete block.

Detail for 416 E Roy ST E / Parcel ID 051020-0000 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Eaves Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Multiple Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Brick No. of Stories: three
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
City of Seattle, Department of Planning and Development, Microfilm Records.

Photo collection for 416 E Roy ST E / Parcel ID 051020-0000 / Inv #


Photo taken Apr 06, 2006

Photo taken Apr 06, 2006
App v2.0.1.0