Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3236 HUNTER BLVD / Parcel ID 5700003415 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1914
Built in 1914, the building was designed by Seattle architect, C. Haynes, and owned by J. F. Grant. The building cost an estimated $6000. Mr. Grant added a garage to the lot in 1914. The owners remodeled the interior in 1934. Dr. Norman H. Branchflower, a dentist with an office in the Stimson Building, room 509, bought the building in April of 1936, and he resided in the building through 1954. In June of 1947, adjustments were made to the front entry vestibule; in July of 1947, a conservatory was built; and in June of 1948, a carport was built. Dr. Branchflower resided previously at 3203 Thirty-Seventh Avenue South. James R. Hayes bought the property in July of 1958 for $23,000. Daniel W. Hahn purchased the building in July of 1966 for $26,000. Thomas A. Prediletto bought the building in August of 1972 for $33,000. Architect Charles Haynes established a Seattle office, Haynes and Cantin, in 1907 and worked in partnership with several other architects over the years. Charles Haynes was the official architect for the Hunter Tract Improvement Company and designed many houses in Mount Baker Park. Among these are the Robert B. Kellogg house (1912) at 2701 Mt. St. Helens Place, the Hunter Improvement Company house (1913) at 2855 Mt. Rainier Drive, the Frank Buty house (1915) at 3704 South Ridgeway Place, and the house (1915) at 2659 Cascadia South. Haynes also designed Butterworth Mortuary in Seattle and many revival style houses, apartment houses and commercial projects in Seattle and Aberdeen. He died in Seattle in 1940. Residences flanking Hunter Boulevard provide integral character-defining elements to the overall boulevard composition through their orientation towards the boulevard, their massing, heights, setbacks, dates of construction, and preserved set of architectural style variations. These residences and their individual building elements remain largely intact, conveying the original well-to-do middle class composition of this area. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1914, this Colonial Revival style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Hunter Boulevard South on a flat site 6’ above street level. This 1200 square foot, two-story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 40’ by 28’. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, shingle-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the gable front roof. Modest closed eave and gable overhangs with cornice returns define the roofline. Wood sash multiple-lite double hung windows with painted wood casings provide day lighting. Quarter-round windows flank the brick gable end chimney that services the building. This intact building contributes to the visual character of Hunter Boulevard South.

Detail for 3236 HUNTER BLVD / Parcel ID 5700003415 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 3236 HUNTER BLVD / Parcel ID 5700003415 / Inv #

Photo taken Oct 28, 2003

Photo taken Oct 28, 2003

Photo taken

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0