Based on field work conducted in September 2014, this historic property retains its relationship to the streetscape, historic building form and a sufficient amount of exterior historic building fabric (design features, cladding and/or window sash/openings) to contribute to the distinct character of the Georgetown neighborhood.
This is a particularly well-preserved historic property that appears to possess architectural and/or historic significance. This property exhibits substantive changes to the exterior appearance since it was identified in the 1997 HRI project: it has been carefully rehabilitated and the brick asphalt siding removed, original cladding/replacement wood cladding has been installed. Reportedly constructed 1918 (however it may have been built at an earlier date) as a small one-story, 5-room family dwelling, this house type/form (hipped roof with porch) was a particularly common/popular house type built in Georgetown. According to King County tax records it was originally clad with narrow horizontal siding and exhibited double-hung and cottage type window sash. King County tax records indicate that the property was owned by Joseph (Giuseppi) Galliano (4-24-1920) and that he retained ownership until at least 1997. The house was reported remodeled in 1928 when the porch may have been changed and the attic level made habitable. It was again remodeled ca. 1943 when brick imitation asphalt siding was added, which has now been removed.
This property is directly associated with an era between 1916 and 1942 when the character of the community began to be changed by social factors, the acceleration of industrialization and associated economic impacts. Due to the instigation of Prohibition in 1916, all breweries closed and brought an abrupt end to their dominance within local industry. Prohibition not only closed down the large local brewery operations but also Georgetown’s infamous roadhouses and saloons. The completion of the Duwamish Waterway in 1917 created additional cheap factory sites with efficient shipping facilities. The establishment of manufacturing businesses such as the Boeing Aircraft Company signaled the new economic direction for the geographic area. Due to the increasing introduction of industrialization within the community, in 1923 it was zoned exclusively for such uses; however, home owners and builders continued to construct new homes and local businesses throughout the era. Inexpensive land and depression era federal programs stimulated residential construction and by 1942 city planners were forced by the community to rezone the residential areas.
Sources of Information:
Baist’s Real Estate Survey 1912, pl. 22 & 29
“Historic Property Survey Report: Georgetown (Seattle, WA)” City of Seattle 1997
Property Record Cards 1937-1972, Puget Sound Regional Archives
Sanborn Insurance Maps: 1904-05 (Vol.1 pl.89-98), 1917 (Vol.3 pl. 353-54 & 357-59), 1929-1949 (Vol.8 pl. 869-72 & 1301-1317).