Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2123 N 40th ST N / Parcel ID 9178600090 / Inv #

Historic Name: Durn Grocery / Durn Good Grocery Common Name: Irwin's Bakery and Espresso
Style: Commercial, Vernacular Neighborhood: Wallingford
Built By: Year Built: 1910
The initial component of this structure, erected 1909-10, consisted of a one story frame store on a concrete foundation over a full basement. It was built by G. W. Urban (1117 33rd S.) for owner Nels O. Hanson (1258 James St.). A frame addition (presumably the second floor) was completed by Urban that same year, as were modifications to the storefront. The latter element was modified again by Urban in 1916. A bay window extending over the street was removed from the upper floor in 1928 by the owner at the time, Jack Irwin. The upper floor was altered by builder Joe Gilbert to combine two apartments for owner Charles Irwin in 1934. The building, including its storefront, appears to have remained more or less in its current configuration since that time. The building is significant as an example of the neighborhood corner grocery, a mixed use building type that appeared every few blocks along the city’s streetcar routes in the early years of the 20th Century, typically featuring an apartment or two over a small retail shop. This particular building has remained in something close to its original use for over 90 years. Known for some time as the home of the Durn Grocery (later the Durn Good Grocery) it became a popular landmark for wayfinding in south Wallingford among the local residents who availed themselves of the shop's commercial offerings. The retail space is now occupied by Irwin's, apparently named for a past owner of the building; the Durn Good Grocery has moved a few blocks west.
This two story, stucco clad frame mixed use building was built in stages on a concrete foundation over a full basement. The mansard style parapet, with its decorative wood brackets, appears to be an original feature of the structure, giving a hint of Second Empire commercial styling to an otherwise vernacular design. Bungalow style double hung windows (each consisting of a small sash, divided into a single row of tall rectangular lites, over a larger undivided sash) light the upper floor living quarters. The wood and glass retail storefront, with its small projecting roof, extends across the easternmost 80% of the front (north) elevation and wraps around the northeast corner of the structure. The exterior stairs were replaced in 1963, and fire damage was repaired in 1978-81, according to the building’s permit history. It appears some small windows have been replaced at the southeast corner of the building.

Detail for 2123 N 40th ST N / Parcel ID 9178600090 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Community Planning/Development
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Storefront: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 2123 N 40th ST N / Parcel ID 9178600090 / Inv #

Photo taken Aug 02, 2004
App v2.0.1.0