Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 6706 22nd AVE / Parcel ID 7518505620 / Inv #

Historic Name: Bonkowski House Common Name: Bonkowski House
Style: Queen Anne Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1891
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Bonkowski House was constructed about 1891, with a large front addition constructed about 1900. In 1891, soon after, Paul Bonkowski (b. 1849) and family arrived in Ballard, Paul got a job as a laborer for the Stimson sawmill. German immigrant Paul Bonkowski had lived in the United States for about 11 years and had been married for three years to German native Katie (b. 1846) when he arrived in Ballard. The same year they came to Seattle, the Bonkowskis purchased property near the northeast corner of Denton (renamed 22nd Ave NW) and Brig (NW 67th St) streets and before the year ended built a small house. After living at that corner for two or three years, the Bonkowskis moved to Georgetown located south of the Seattle city limits at that time. Paul formed a partnership to build a plant to manufacturer fertilizer to sell to local farmers. It apparently was a profitable endeavor because by the spring of 1900 they returned to the same corner of Ballard living in a more commodious residence. According to the King County Assessment rolls, the Bonkowkis had the residence built sometime between spring 1896 and spring 1900. The likely construction date is 1900, since the 1900 U.S. Census listed the Bonkowskis still living in south Seattle and the 1900 Seattle Polk Directory listed them in Ballard. At the time the house was constructed the West Street and North End streetcar line that ran from Ballard to downtown Seattle terminated about ¾ mile away from the house at Ballard Avenue and 22nd Avenue NW. By 1905 the new owners Seattle Electric Company extended the line to 24th Avenue NW and NW 64th Street just five blocks from the house. In 1903 Paul Bonkowski bought out his partner of the South Seattle Fertilizer Company and became sole owner. Five years later, shortly after Seattle annexed the Town of Ballard, the Bonkowskis left town. Later occupants. In 1910 carpenter Horatio Munson (b. ca 1866), his wife Clara (b. ca 1860), and two children rented the house for a few months. Clarence Munson, 22 year old son, worked as a telegraph operator and 17 year old daughter Blanche Munson attended school. During World War II, machinist Bernard J. and wife Margaret Murphy lived in the house. After the war, H. L. and Doris M. Henrickson lived there. H. L. Henrickson employed as a millworker for Seattle Cedar Lumber Mill. In 1961 no one lived in the house. The 1979 Seattle Historic Resources Survey inventoried the house. Prior to the City of Seattle annexing Ballard the 1905 Sanborn atlas of Seattle listed the address at 205 3rd Ave N and the 1906 and 1907 Seattle Polk directory listed the address at 204 3rd Ave N in Ballard. The residence appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old) and minimal alterations since 1900.
The vernacular Bonkowski House likely incorporates the original ca. 1891 house that was built on the site and a ca. 1900 addition. The 1905 Sanborn map shows nearly the same footprint for the house that exists currently. The one story section in the rear (east end) of the house that measures approximately 12 x 22 feet is likely the 1891 house. The two story front (west end) of the house, whose outside dimensions are about 26 x 28 feet, was probably added in 1900. The west elevation of the front gable and wing has two over one double hung windows with a beveled sash. The first floor of the gable end is a recessed three sided bay window. Turned columns support a steep pitched hip porch roof. A small circular window has been added above the porch. Decorative shingle gable ends. The east end of the house has a wrap around porch which has been partially enclosed. Alterations since 1905 are minor.

Detail for 6706 22nd AVE / Parcel ID 7518505620 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Post & Pier
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Seattle Inventory Field Form. 1979.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1904-1905) 4 volumes.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.

Photo collection for 6706 22nd AVE / Parcel ID 7518505620 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 23, 2004
App v2.0.1.0