Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4328 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400305 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1930
Built in 1930, this building was owned by John Dstall through ca 1949. The building was occupied by Arthur C. Jordan by 1938. The 1940 Polk directory lists the building as vacant. By 1943 through 1961, John E. Hossack occupied the building. In 1949, Mr. Dstall added a private garage. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1930, this compact, Tudor Revival style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Thirteenth Avenue South on a flat site above street level. This 863 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 24’ by 37’, with a 5’ by 4’ front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick-clad superstructure. Decorative brickwork highlights the front facade gable end. Asphalt composition roofing covers the clipped gable roof. Nearly flush gables with prominent rake trim and modest eave overhangs define the roofline. Multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. Decorative half-timbering below the front facade windows highlights the facade. A crenellated brick clad tower functions as the enclosed front stoop. A brick chimney services the building. The crenellated tower and half-timber detailing set this building apart as unique within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 4328 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400305 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 4328 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400305 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0