Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2716 21st AVE / Parcel ID 3083000270 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1913
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1913, this building was owned by B. Rosso by 1920. Robert N. Williams purchased the building in October of 1935 and resided in the house through 1938. Mr. Williams converted the garage into a residence. By 1940, Lee A. Hankins lived in the building. Donnie Ragsdale resided in the building by 1943. He was assigned the building in January 1948 through a Sheriff Deed and remained in the building through 1955. Lee A. Hankins lived in the house from 1961 through 1968. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1913, this compact, Arts & Crafts style, single-family bungalow stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Twenty-First Avenue South on a flat site at street level. This 888 square foot, single-story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 24’ by 37’, with a 12’ by 6’ front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, shingle-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Broad overhanging open eaves and gables with prominent bargeboards, exposed purlins, rafters and bracing define the roofline. Wood sash multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. A pier supports the outer corner of the main building roof. A brick chimney services the building. Although it is a relatively simple bungalow, this building is distinctive as a largely intact example within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 2716 21st AVE / Parcel ID 3083000270 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Block
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2716 21st AVE / Parcel ID 3083000270 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 08, 2004

Photo taken Mar 08, 2004
App v2.0.1.0