Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4906-4908 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 1702901650 / Inv #

Historic Name: Weed Building Common Name:
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Columbia City
Built By: Year Built: 1909; 1929
This prominent two-story building was constructed in 1909 for $1300. The original owner, Hec McKenzie, was a plumber and his shop was at the back (east side) of the building. The second story of the building contained a meeting hall, which was used by the Modern Woodmen of America, as well as the Christian Science Church. Tenants in the north storefront included the Columbia Undertaking Company (1917), Star Pool Room (1920s), Menzo LaPorte’s Rainier Valley Barber Shop (1922), Jamieson Dry Goods (1929), Grigsware Shoe Rebuild (1936) and the Ploeger Mortuary (1940s). The south storefront was the location of Columbia Precinct #5 of the Seattle Police Department prior to its move across the street to 4923 Rainier Ave. S. in 1916. Northern storefront received storefront alterations in 1929, giving it a stucco front with brick piers. It was owned by Theodore D. Weed at the time and so is known as the Weed Building. John L. McCauley, an architect and engineer residing in Columbia City, designed the alterations. McCauley resided at 3254 S. Edmunds Street, and designed at least four of the buildings in the Columbia City business district. McCauley was a City Inspector and Engineer in 1908 and later active as an architect. During the teens and 1920s he was responsible for the design of many commercial buildings, including stores, factories and hotels in Seattle’s International District, industrial area south of downtown and in the Denny regrade area near Lake Union. Theodore D. Weed also resided in Columbia City, at 3839 S. Edmunds and was the owner of the City Sash and Door Company, which had offices in Columbia City beginning in 1910. The subject building is significant as an early commercial building in the N. R. district. It received a façade redesign by architect John L. McCauley in 1929 that gave it a more formal appearance. It retains its architectural integrity and was the location of a number of community businesses over the years.
This two story commercial vernacular building is of wood frame construction and is supported by a concrete foundation. The building has a rectangular plan and a flat roof with a parapet. The building is clad primarily in stucco with brick, tile and wood trim. The fenestration consists of single hung windows, some with ten-light upper sashes. A single arched ten-over-one single hung window is located on the north end of the front elevation above the entryway to the upper floor. On the main portion of the building, the windows are arranged in a pattern of three, two, and three, and are separated by brick piers. The three storefronts were renovation in 1930. The storefront entryways are recessed in a row, with a single large window, flush with the façade at either end. Tile piers divide the storefront entrances. Transom windows run the width of the building above a flat metal canopy. A decorative cartouche, or shield, is located on the parapet and inscribed with the name of the building.

Detail for 4906-4908 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 1702901650 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: NR, LR
Cladding(s): Brick, Ceramic tile, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Business Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Storefront: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Centennial History, Columbia City, Rainier Valley, 1853-1991, Pioneers of Columbia City. Seattle, Washington, 1992.
Architects file cards, Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Historic Preservation Program, 700 3rd Avenue, Suite 400, Seattle, WA, 98104.

Photo collection for 4906-4908 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 1702901650 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 22, 2004
App v2.0.1.0