Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 915 Howell ST / Parcel ID 0660001113 / Inv #

Historic Name: Store for Midland Investment Company; Savemore Food Store (and other stores) Common Name: 915 Howell Street
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Denny Triangle
Built By: Year Built: 1923
 
Significance
This commercial building dates from 1923 and was built on the former site of a frame residence, built in 1901. The building was originally designed as a “store” for the Midland Investment Company. According to a 1936 photo, the building has always housed a variety of shops and probably had more signage than it did today. In 1936, the northwest corner of the building (Howell and Terry Street) at 927 was occupied by a grocery store, the Savemore Food Store. Other businesses included the “Nite Owl Beer Parlor,” at 923, Mrs. F. C. Hauser, Barber and Ken’s Radio. By 1978, the northwest corner shop was a tavern. There was also a deli, located next to a barber shop, adjacent to a pizza parlor in the southern storefront. By 1980, “921 Howell” (third shop from the north) became a private sauna. This is a typical commercial building of the 1920s, which has always served modest commercial needs. Like many commercial buildings of this period, despite its basic function, it was designed with references to high style architecture. It still retains pleasing details, including its exterior cladding, as well as storefronts that still reflect the building’s original use and appearance. For a commercial building of its time, size and use, it remains reasonably intact and evocative of the original commercial neighborhood and of the local Westlake Market, which is long gone.
 
Appearance
This is a one story commercial building with an irregular footprint (120’ x 126’ x 22’x 47’), which gives the impression of having a regular footprint from Howell St. The main façade along Howell Street corresponds to the longest dimension. The façade is long and was originally divided by engaged piers into seven storefronts. Construction drawings from a 1980 remodel show that by then the storefronts had been modified to six storefronts. Storefront glazing has also been replaced, with transoms covered by painted plywood, adorned with diamond shapes. Nevertheless, the overall impression, even at the storefront level, is similar to the original design. Distinctive and original features include the varied brick pattern, created in buff and darker brick, as well as the repeated circular cast stone medallions, set over the storefronts. Also of note is detailing of the parapet, which is slightly raised over five central storefronts and is depressed over the intervening piers.

Detail for 915 Howell ST / Parcel ID 0660001113 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: INV
Cladding(s): Brick, Metal, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Business Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce, Community Planning/Development
Integrity
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Storefront: Slight
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.

Photo collection for 915 Howell ST / Parcel ID 0660001113 / Inv #


Photo taken Feb 25, 2006
App v2.0.1.0