Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2015 8 AVE / Parcel ID 0659000755 / Inv #

Historic Name: Transport Motor Company Used Car Department Common Name: 2015 8th Avenue
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Denny Triangle
Built By: Year Built: 1924
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This is a two story warehouse building. It has a rectangular plan, 60’ x 115’. The structure is concrete, with the main façade along 8th Avenue, clad in brick veneer. The façade consists of three equal bays. On the second level, there are three large rectangular window openings, each filled with three multi-pane glazed sections. Below the second floor, each spandrel is emphasized by three, slightly protruding rectangular panels, most likely of cast stone. There is also a horizontal cast stone band, which runs the length of the façade, just above the second story windows. Because the entire façade is currently painted off-white, the band is less visible than in a historical photo from the period, where it clearly contrasts with red or brown brick. Openings at the ground level used to be large garage door openings, topped by transom lites. The north garage door opening has been transformed into a storefront on a low base. The central opening has also been modified and become a similar storefront on a low base, as well as a regular doorway, with a grate. The south bay now has a new garage door, currently kept closed. This simple building has kept its integrity, particularly above the ground level.
 
Appearance
This building was constructed for L. C. Anderson around 1924. According to a photo from 1936, it housed the “Transport Motor Company Used Car Department” and had a large sign advertising this on its south wall. Since Westlake, north of Denny Way, in what is now South Lake Union, became the “second” auto row in the 1920s and 1930s, this is consistent with the extension of auto row into Westlake, south of Denny Way, which became even more evident after World War II. By 1998, the building housed the Bayer Plasma Operations. Although, according to a King County property record report, the building is still officially the “BioLife Plasma Center,” the building appears vacant and seems to be used by the Seattle Police Department. This very simple building has retained its integrity and forms an interesting ensemble with the 8th Avenue elevation of 2030 Westlake Avenue, which has even more interesting detailing.

Detail for 2015 8 AVE / Parcel ID 0659000755 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: INV
Cladding(s): Brick, Concrete, Metal, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Warehouse Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Poured No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Transportation
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Storefront: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
“Final Environmental Impact Statement for the New Federal Courthouse, Seattle, King County, Washington,” U.S. General Services Administration (Region 10), March 27, 1998, p 56-77.

Photo collection for 2015 8 AVE / Parcel ID 0659000755 / Inv #


Photo taken Mar 20, 2006
App v2.0.1.0