Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1134 33rd AVE / Parcel ID 7152200270 / Inv # SPL001

Historic Name: Fire Station No. 12 Common Name: Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch, Seattle Public Library
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Other Neighborhood: Madrona
Built By: Year Built: 1920
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
From 1920 to 1971, this small brick building housed Fire Station No. 12, which served the Madrona neighborhood. This was the second fire station built on the same corner lot on 34th Avenue at East Union Street. In 1904, the first fire station had been constructed facing onto East Union Street. This two-story wood-frame building was one of nine fire stations that were built between 1894 and 1908 using a similar design. In 1919, the Fire Department decided to replace the old wood frame building with a new brick bungalow-style station. This one-story building was one of three fire stations that were completed between 1920 and 1921, using a similar design. The 1921 Fire Station No. 29 in West Seattle was demolished in 1969 when a new station was built on the site. The 1920 Fire Station No. 26 in South Park was closed in 1973 with the construction of a new station located several blocks to the south. The South Park Area Redevelopment Committee, a non-profit community service agency, later converted the old station for its own use under a lease agreement with the city. After opening in 1920, Fire Station No. 12 remained in operation until 1971. In 1970, the Fire Department had decided to replace the 1915 Fire Station No. 34 with a new building on the same site located off East Madison Street in the Washington Park neighborhood. Rather than temporarily relocate the company, Engine 34 was placed out of service, and Fire Station No. 12 covered its district during construction. The Fire Department then closed Fire Station No. 12 and discontinued its engine company once the new fire station was completed in November 1971. Less than two years later, the old fire station became the Madrona Branch of the Seattle Public Library. This had come about due to the tireless efforts of neighborhood resident Sally Goldmark. Sally and John Goldmark had moved to Madrona from Eastern Washington in 1966. Sally Goldmark became president of the Madrona Community Council and opened a "book-tique" in 1971 at 1410 34th Avenue. When the funding for that project ended, she began organizing to open the vacant Fire Station No. 12 building as a neighborhood library. On February 6, 1973, the new library opened its door. Twelve years later on September 26, 1985, the library was renamed as the Madrona-Sally Goldmark Library as a tribute to Sally Goldmark. This building is significant for its design and for its associations with the development of the Seattle Fire Department and the Madrona neighborhood.
 
Appearance
Completed in 1920, this small one-story brick building faces west and occupies a corner lot on 34th Avenue East and East Union Street. The former fire station has a gable on hip roof and a Bungalow form with Classical Revival detailing. The rectangular plan measures 43 feet by 53 feet, according to the original building permit. Previously, the single engine bay occupied the southwest corner of the building with an adjoining office block at the northwest corner. The remaining L-shaped portion, which wrapped the northeast corner, housed the crew quarters. Few changes were made to the exterior of the building during its prior service as a fire station or after its conversion to a library. This includes the retention of the original multi-paned wood sash windows, which are now covered by slatted screens. On the principal west elevation, the front gable engine bay projects slightly beyond the adjacent side gable office block, which lines the northern half of the elevation. A shallow arched opening in the engine bay originally contained a pair of wooden doors with strap hinges. A cast stone keystone and cast stone end blocks embellish the brick arch above the opening. Cast stone coping also lines the gable ends of the engine bay and office. Cast stone cartouches with "1919" on them embellish the side blocks supporting the ends of the coping. The original doors have been removed, and a recessed entrance to the library has been installed within the original opening. The office block has a center entrance flanked by 6/1 double hung windows with concrete sills. The roof over the office covers all but the peak of the shingle clad gable end on the main block. The north elevation of the office projects slightly and has a large chimney at the center flanked by small window openings set with multi-paned sash. The remaining half of the elevation has a single window opening adjacent to the office and a pair of window openings at the eastern end. These openings also have 6/1 double hung sash and concrete sills. On the south elevation, three window openings with 6/1 double hung sash line the engine bay at the western end. A small hip roof bay projects slightly from the eastern end of the south elevation. The bay has a window opening at the center above a narrow set of stairs leading down to an entrance at the basement level. A metal gate now covers this opening. A similar bay projects from the center of the rear east elevation between a single window opening at the southern end and an entrance porch at the northern end. The porch has a center entrance flanked by window openings with 6/1 double hung sash. The roof over the porch covers all but the peak of the shingle clad gable end on the main block. This architecturally distinctive building retains excellent physical integrity even after its change of use.

Detail for 1134 33rd AVE / Parcel ID 7152200270 / Inv # SPL001

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Shingle, Stone - Cast Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Government - Fire Station Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Unknown No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Education, Politics/Government/Law
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Seattle Fire Department, Centennial Commemorative, 1889-1989. Portland, OR: Taylor Pub. Co., c1989.
Seattle Public Library Website (www.spl.org).

Photo collection for 1134 33rd AVE / Parcel ID 7152200270 / Inv # SPL001


Photo taken Aug 23, 2000
App v2.0.1.0