Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 3354 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004215 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1922
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1922, this building was designed by Seattle architect, Charles Haynes, for owner, George H. Webb. Mr. Webb gave his address on the building permit as the Snow Creek Log Company. Construction on the residence began in 1921. Mr. Webb added a garage in 1922 and constructed a 10’ by 33½’ addition to the building in 1926. Edna F. and Charles F. Eikenbary purchased the building in July of 1929. Dr. Eikenbary was president of and a physician with the Seattle Orthopedic and Fracture Clinic, Inc. In 1929, Dr. Eikenbary added an addition to the residence. Seattle architect, W. J. Jones, designed the addition. By 1944, Edward H. Hamlin lived in the building, followed by Earle T. Glant by 1954 through 1958. The building was sold in 1944 for $18,000. In 1966, the owner added a pool. Architect Charles Haynes established a Seattle office, Haynes and Cantin, in 1907 and worked in partnership with several other architects over the years. Charles Haynes was the official architect for the Hunter Tract Improvement Company and designed many houses in Mount Baker Park. Among these are the Robert B. Kellogg house (1912) at 2701 Mt. St. Helens Place, the Hunter Improvement Company house (1913) at 2855 Mt. Rainier Drive, the Frank Buty house (1915) at 3704 South Ridgeway Place, and the house (1915) at 2659 Cascadia South. Haynes also designed Butterworth Mortuary in Seattle and many revival style houses, apartment houses and commercial projects in Seattle and Aberdeen. He died in Seattle in 1940. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
 
Appearance
Built in 1922, this Craftsman-influenced, American Foursquare style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot overlooking Lake Washington. The building is oriented to Lakewood Avenue South on a sloping site at street level. This 2016 square foot, two-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring 34’ by 54’, with an 8’ by 4’ front stoop and a 10’ by 18’ two-story back sun porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the hip roof and hip roof front gable roof dormer. Overhanging closed eaves with decorative modillions at the building corners define the roofline. Wood sash windows provide day lighting. Windows feature painted wood casings. A short flight of stairs leads to a gable roofed front stoop. Classically-influenced columns support the stoop roof. Two brick chimneys service the building.

Detail for 3354 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004215 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 3354 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004215 / Inv #


Photo taken Oct 23, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0