Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4134 12th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400550 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1952
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Begun in 1952 and finished in 1955, the building was occupied by Charles P. O’Connor by 1953 through 1965. By 1968, M. J. Anderson and John R. Mehren lived in the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Begun in 1952 and finished in 1955, this compact, Ranch style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Twelfth Avenue South on a flat site above street level. This 1009 square foot, single-story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan with a small front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the concrete block frame, stucco-clad superstructure. Concrete tile roofing covers the hip roof. Broad overhanging closed eaves with minimal trim define the roofline. Single-pane aluminum sash windows provide day lighting. A flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. Glass block highlights the front facade windows adjacent to the stoop. A brick chimney services the building. A prominent concrete frame garage extends in front of the residence.

Detail for 4134 12th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400550 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Pyramidal Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 4134 12th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400550 / Inv #

Photo taken

Photo taken Mar 12, 2004

Photo taken Mar 12, 2004
App v2.0.1.0