Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1709 S LANDER ST S / Parcel ID 7319900116 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1925
Built in 1925, this building was owned by C. A. Carstensen. C J. Jensen was the contractor. Frank M. Cossalter purchased the building in May of 1936 and remained through 1943. By 1951 through 1968, Nick and Louis Iserino lived in the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1925, this compact, Arts & Crafts style, single-family bungalow stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to South Lander Street on a flat site 6’ above street level. This 916 square foot, single-story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 26’ by 34’, with a 16’ by 6’ front porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Wood sash multiple-pane windows with painted wood casings provide day lighting. Two flights of stairs lead to the front porch. Two piers flanking the stairway support the outer edge of the gable porch roof. An external brick chimney services the building. This building is a good example of a basic Arts & Crafts bungalow within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 1709 S LANDER ST S / Parcel ID 7319900116 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 1709 S LANDER ST S / Parcel ID 7319900116 / Inv #

Photo taken

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003
App v2.0.1.0