Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3616 24th AVE / Parcel ID 1624049124 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1928
Polk directories indicate Lyle C. Jewett lived in the building in 1941. Charles A. and Anna Greer lived in the building from 1949 through 1970. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1928, this compact, Tudor Revival style, single-family cottage stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Twenty-Fourth Avenue South on a flat site 6’ above street level. This 999 square foot, single-story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 27’ by 37’, with an 8’ by 5’ front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Minimal eave and gable overhangs with well-defined rake and cornice trim and cornice returns define the roofline. Wood sash multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. Two flights of stairs lead to the front entrance from the sidewalk. Brick piers support a round arched entrance carrying a gable stoop roof. An external brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 3616 24th AVE / Parcel ID 1624049124 / Inv #

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Brick, Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 3616 24th AVE / Parcel ID 1624049124 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0