Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3300 24th AVE / Parcel ID 7970100005 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Other Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1921
Built in 1921, this building was owned by Donald L. and Hilda MacDonald by December of 1927. The MacDonald’s resided in the building through 1968. Mr. MacDonald worked as a meat cutter. During World War I, when the shipbuilding industry was creating an influx of residents to Seattle, there was a perceived need for another school on Beacon Hill. In 1918, the Robert Fulton School was built to relieve overcrowding of the York School in the Rainier Valley (John Muir School). A large apartment building that had been planned for the neighborhood was never built, however, and the school did not receive the population of students that had been projected. It closed in 1922. The Seattle Parks Department leased the site for a playfield for many years. In 1960 an all-portable school was located there as an annex to Beacon Hill Elementary School. By 1963, 300 students were housed there and the School Board elected to make the site a permanent school location. It was named after Captain George Kimball, who had headed the Junior Safety Patrol in Seattle from 1928 to 1961. A permanent school building opened on the site in 1971, designed by Durham, Anderson & Freed. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1921, this compact, Arts & Crafts style, single-family bungalow stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Twenty-Fourth Avenue South on a sloping site at street level. This 672 square foot, two-story house with a half daylight basement features an irregular plan, measuring approximately 25’ by 31’, with a 9’ by 6’ front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the low-pitched front gable roof. Broad eave and gable overhangs with bargeboards and exposed purlins and braces define the roofline. Wood sash windows with multiple panes and painted wood casings provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs leads to the front entrance. An interior brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 3300 24th AVE / Parcel ID 7970100005 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."
Thompson, Nile and Marr, Carolyn J. Building for Learning, Seattle Public School Histories, 1862-2000. Seattle School District No. 1, 2002.

Photo collection for 3300 24th AVE / Parcel ID 7970100005 / Inv #

Photo taken Sep 15, 2003

Photo taken Sep 15, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0