This commercial building is in the Uptown neighborhood.
Louis D. Ambrosio had the building built. The original building featured three 1947 storefronts and a five-car garage behind the building. No builder or architect were identified on the original drawings. Originally each storefront had with central recessed entry, brick bulkhead, brick piers, and plate glass display windows. A single continuous marquee extended across the full facade. Eba’s Mutual Groceries and the butcher shop chain Pig’N-Steer Markets opened in the building’s south two storefronts by 1932 (520–522 Queen Anne Avenue N). Frank R. Jeffrey was president of Eba’s Mutual Groceries company; Earl M. Eba secretary; and C. M. Cook treasurer. The main office was at 3135 Western Ave and there were 23 markets citywide. The Pig’N-Steer Market had at least seven butcher shops throughout Seattle by 1930.
Casper W. Clarke purchased the building in June of 1935. Both stores remained through 1939. In 1941 the listing in the Polk directory changed to Tradewell Stores Inc., a grocery store. They remained through 1944. In January of 1945 the Auditorium Drug Company purchased the building. By 1948 Ken’s Meats and Sinnett's Shurfine Food Center (also known as Sinnett’s Thriftway Food Center) opened in the building. They remained in the building through 1975. Grant Moulas purchased the building in January of 1964.
By 1932 the Mecca Café opened in the north storefront at 524 Queen Anne Avenue N and was operated by C. Preston Smith. This was different from the Mecca, which at the time was a cigar and card room at 610 First Avenue. By 1938 the Mecca Café had moved north one storefront into the adjacent building and its current location.
In 1934 the Mecca Café, along with six other beer parlors in Seattle, had its liquor license revoked by the State as part of a state-wide clean-up effort based on complaints received (such as beer being sold after hours or to minors). Other businesses only had their licenses suspended for thirty days. This was the most dramatic enforcement effort by the state since the state took over the regulation of liquor sales and distribution.
‘Rum Board’s Action is Forerunner of Clean-up.’ Seattle Daily Times, July 28, 1934: 1.
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Guide to the Architects (Seattle, University of Washington Press: 2014), 2nd edition.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938–1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890–1996.
Seattle Daily Times, July 18, 1934: 12.