Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1809 S LANDER ST S / Parcel ID 7319900166 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1914
Built in 1914, this building was owned by B. A. Lewis. Marguerete Howland occupied the building by 1938 through 1940. By 1940, Paul O. Shelvik also lived in the house. Laurence E. Garner lived in the house by 1943 and John E. Tolman lived in the building by 1951 through 1953. Ted H. Crosby lived in the house by 1955. By 1957 through 1968, Shozo Kiyomizu occupied the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1914, this compact, Craftsman-influenced, Arts & Crafts style, single-family bungalow stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to South Lander Street on a flat site 8’ above street level. This 1032 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 24’ by 43’, with an 18’ by 4’ front porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, shingle-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the side gable roof and front facing gable dormer. Broad overhanging eaves and gables with exposed rafters, purlins, braces and prominent bargeboards define the roofline. Wood sash and contemporary vinyl sash multiple-pane windows with painted wood casings provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the front porch. Substantial plinths support tapered piers carrying the extended roofline. The unusual porch supports set this building apart as distinct within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 1809 S LANDER ST S / Parcel ID 7319900166 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s):
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 1809 S LANDER ST S / Parcel ID 7319900166 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0