Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3108 MOUNT RAINIER DR / Parcel ID 5700003435 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1924
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1924, this building was designed by Mr. Stoddard, an architect and engineer with an office in the Orpheum Building. George Wellington and Marjorie Stoddard moved into the building ca 1925. Florence MacRae was one of the early owners. H. J. Winn purchased the building in August of 1937, and Robert E. and Gable McGrew and Mrs. Florence M. Winn moved into the building ca 1937. In September of 1942, a private garage was built. By 1944, Joslyn H. Waterman lived in the building. George O. Brehm purchased the house in July of 1949 and resided in the building through 1958. In August of 1949, Mr. Brehm had the contractor, L. W. Robeson, build a private conservatory. Carl M. Johnson bought the building in December of 1960 for $21,000. George Wellington Stoddard (1896-1967) practiced in partnership with his father, Lewis M. Stoddard, starting in 1920 and continuing until his father’s death in 1929. Stoddard & Son designed the Winthrop Hotel (1927) in Tacoma. George W. Stoddard practiced architecture in Seattle until 1959. He had his own office until 1955, when he entered a partnership with Francis Huggard. George W. Stoddard’s best known works are the Green Lake Aqua Theater, Memorial Stadium at Seattle Center, and the south stands of Husky Stadium. He designed large homes, clinics, banks, and apartment buildings. Some of his buildings were in the Moderne style, such as the Harlan Fairbanks Company on Elliott Avenue. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1924, this Tudor Cottage style single-family dwelling stands on an irregular lot. The building is oriented to Mt Rainier Drive South on a flat site 3’ above street level. This 1659 square foot, one-and-one-half story house with a half daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 33’ by 50’, with a 7’ by 15’ stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, stucco-clad superstructure. Wood shake roofing covers the cross gable roof. Closed eaves and a steep pitch define the roofline. The rounded windows on the front façade appear to be original.

Detail for 3108 MOUNT RAINIER DR / Parcel ID 5700003435 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Other
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Architects Reference Files, Special Collections and Preservation Division, University of Washington Libraries.
Dietz, Duane, “Architects and Landscape Architects of Seattle, 1876 to 1959 and Beyond,” unpublished paper. University of Washington Libraries, July 1993.
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 3108 MOUNT RAINIER DR / Parcel ID 5700003435 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 15, 2004

Photo taken Mar 15, 2004

Photo taken Mar 15, 2004

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0