Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2323 18th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600765 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Rustic Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1915
Built in 1915, this building was owned by R. J. Walsh. Then F. L. Lansing purchased the building in February of 1925. John W. Spillard moved into the building ca 1937, and Ann Gruber lived in 2323½. Permit records indicate 2323½ was a separate, smaller structure on the same lot. By 1943, Jake Sherman occupied the main residence, and Archie Anderson lived in 2323½. The Polk directories list George F. Lansing as an occupant in 1954 through 1958. In January of 1962, Mabel Lindberg purchased the building for $16,500. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1915, this compact, Rustic-influenced, Arts & Crafts style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Eighteenth Avenue South on a sloping site 11’ above street level. This 936 square foot, one-and-one-half story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 36’ by 26’, with a 12’ by 5’ front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard- and shingle-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the side gable roof and gabled front facing dormer. Broad eave and gable overhangs with prominent bargeboards, exposed rafters and purlins define the roofline. Wood sash multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. A direct flight of stairs leads to the front stoop. Wood piers support the gabled stoop roof with a low, open railing between the piers. A brick gable end chimney services the building. This building is a good example of an Arts & Crafts style residence within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 2323 18th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600765 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle - Combination, Wood - Shiplap Foundation(s): Concrete - Block
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s):
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan:
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories:
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan:
Changes to Original Cladding:
Changes to Windows:
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2323 18th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600765 / Inv #

Photo taken Oct 31, 2003
App v2.0.1.0