Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2326 16th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600605 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Ranch - Split Level Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1967
Built in 1967, this building was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Wing Y. Lock. The contractor was Rio Ciotta. Wing Y. Locke lived in the building in 1968. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1967, this Split Level Ranch style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Sixteenth Avenue South on a flat site above street level. This 1550 square foot, single-story house with a full basement features a square plan, measuring approximately 40’ by 40’, with a small front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick- and stucco-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the low-pitched front gable roof. Modest closed eave and gable overhangs with minimal trim define the roofline. Large single-pane windows provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs flanked by a metal railing leads to the centrally-placed front stoop. An internal brick chimney services the building. This intact building is the first and most intact in a row of four with similar configurations and finishes.

Detail for 2326 16th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600605 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Other
Building Type: Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2326 16th AVE / Parcel ID 5393600605 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0