Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3806 S EDMUNDS ST S / Parcel ID 1702900686 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: Fasica Building
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Columbia City
Built By: Year Built: 1924
This commercial building was built in 1925. Architect J.L. McCauley designed the building for owner S.T. Toby. Minnie E. Albee purchased the building from Toby in 1932. The building was originally a post office and sub station. The building was used as a warehouse for the Grayson-Brown Hardware and Furniture Company in the 1950s. This building was designed by architect John L. McCauley, who lived in the neighborhood at 3254 S. Edmunds St., and designed seven other buildings in the Columbia City historic district. McCauley was a City Inspector and Engineer in 1908 and later was active as an architect. During the teens and 1920s he was responsible for the design of many residential and commercial buildings, including stores, factories and hotels in Seattle’s International District, Capitol Hill, and the Denny regrade area near Lake Union.

This single story commercial building is of masonry construction and is supported by a concrete foundation. The building has a rectangular plan and a flat roof. The building is clad in brick. The storefront configuration has been altered with the removal and addition of doors, and the replacement of the multi-pane windows with expansive glass windows. Multi-pane transom windows are located above each window and door. Brick piers separate each of the three parts of the storefront. The storefront configuration originally consisted of a central large multi-pane window and a door, flanked by two large multi-paned windows to the east, and a large multi-pane glass window and door to the west. The brick has been painted and has been replaced with wood cladding beneath the windows.

2016 Update:  This building was rehabilitated in 2014-15 using the Secretary of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation, and the work was approved by the Columbia City Review Committee and the Landmarks Preservation Board. The wood infill cladding has been removed, and an historically compatible storefront system has been added and the multi-paned transoms have been preserved.

Detail for 3806 S EDMUNDS ST S / Parcel ID 1702900686 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: NR, LR
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Government - Post Office Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Brick No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Politics/Government/Law
Changes to Plan: Intact
Storefront: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Centennial History, Columbia City, Rainier Valley, 1853-1991, Pioneers of Columbia City. Seattle, Washington, 1992.

Photo collection for 3806 S EDMUNDS ST S / Parcel ID 1702900686 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Mar 22, 2004

Photo taken Nov 02, 2016
App v2.0.1.0