Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4303 11th AVE / Parcel ID 3959401470 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Modern - Contemporary Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1950
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Begun in 1947 and finished in 1950, the building was designed by architect, Charles A. Laurence, and owned by Henry J. Davis. Lawrence V. Lang occupied the building by 1955. Ivar O. Stolen lived in the house by 1961. The 1965 Polk directory lists the building as vacant. By 1968, Charlotte Udell lived in the house. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1950, this modest, ranch style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Eleventh Avenue South on a flat site at street level. This 1082 square foot, single-story house with a full basement features a U-shaped plan, measuring approximately 36’ by 46’, with a recessed front entrance. A poured concrete foundation supports the painted concrete block superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the hip roof. Modest closed eave overhangs define the roofline. Large single- and multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. An integrated garage extends off the front facade. This building is unique within the Beacon Hill, North Rainier Valley and Mount Baker neighborhoods due to the use of concrete block masonry units for construction of the building.

Detail for 4303 11th AVE / Parcel ID 3959401470 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Concrete - Block Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Plan: U-Shape
Structural System: Concrete - Block No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 4303 11th AVE / Parcel ID 3959401470 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0