Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 5018 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 5649600115 / Inv #

Historic Name: Columbia City Post Office Common Name: New Freeway Hall
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Columbia City
Built By: Year Built: 1910
This one-story frame store building was probably constructed in 1922, by Theodore D. Weed, adjoining his store building at 5000 Rainier Avenue South. Theodore D. Weed was a resident of Columbia City, beginning circa 1905, when he was listed in city directories as a building contractor and carpenter. He owned and operated the City Sash and Door Company, located at 5000 Rainier Avenue S. from 1910 through the late 1920s. Weed resided in Columbia City, at 3839 S. Edmunds. He was the owner of the building at 4906-08 Rainier Avenue S. when it was remodeled in 1929 and renamed the Weed Building. During the 1920s and 30s Weed owned four commercial buildings in the 4900 and 5000 block of Rainier Avenue S. Its brick façade, with two storefronts and parapet inscribed “Post Office”, is still extant and contribute to the architectural character of the district. In 1922, under Weed’s supervision, a brick veneer was added to the storefront at 5000 Rainier Avenue South, the subject building may have been constructed at that time, or if constructed previously, was given a brick front. It may have been designed by architect John L. McCauley, who was a resident of Columbia City and designed at least seven buildings in the district. The building has a parapet with a centered inscription reading “Post Office.” It was the location of the Columbia Station Branch of the U.S. Post Office from the mid-1920s through the early 1930s. It later was a furniture store owned by George Verhagen. Radical Women and the Freedom Socialist Party are affiliated community organizations which have owned and occupied the building since 1985. The building houses administrative offices for both organizations, an international newspaper and publishing company, and several other activist community groups. The building’s current name New Freeway Hall evokes the organizations’ previous headquarters, Freeway Hall, located underneath Interstate 5 in the University District, from which the groups were evicted in 1984.
This intact one and two story building is of frame construction and is supported by a concrete foundation. The building has a rectangular plan and a flat roof with a decorative parapet. The building is clad in brick veneer. The storefront configuration consists of two bays. The southern bay contains two plate glass windows with wood sash, and transom windows above. The northern bay consists of a central inset entry flanked by two expansive glass windows with transom windows located above. A modern metal marquee now covers the transom windows.

Detail for 5018 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 5649600115 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: LR
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Government - Post Office Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Brick No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Politics/Government/Law, Social Movements & Organizations
Storefront: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Centennial History, Columbia City, Rainier Valley, 1853-1991, Pioneers of Columbia City. Seattle, Washington, 1992.

Photo collection for 5018 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 5649600115 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 24, 2004
App v2.0.1.0