Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 5960 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 8113101080 / Inv # SFD001

Historic Name: SED Hillman Garage, Office and Crew Headquarters Common Name: Fire Department Training Facility
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Columbia City
Built By: Year Built: 1953
The Seattle Engineering Department constructed this facility in 1952-53 for use as a new garage, office and crew quarters in the Hillman neighborhood of the Rainier Valley. The modern new building replaced an old horse barn, which had been the only quarters available in that location for many years. In 1950, the Engineering Department had completed its new Charles Street Shops in an effort to upgrade its aging physical plant. This program of improvements continued with the construction of this facility as well as an additional facility in West Seattle in 1956. Sited at the rear of a large lot on the east side of Rainier Avenue South, the new facility would result in more efficient operations and would enhance the appearance of the neighborhood. By 1953, the new Hillman Garage, Office and Crew Headquarters was completed and in full use. By the end of that year, the yard was also fenced with steel fencing, and a gasoline pump had been installed. Two years later, Fire Station No. 28 was constructed in 1955 at the front of the lot. The Seattle Fire Department later acquired the use of the remaining portion of the property for a training facility. This utilitarian building is significant for its association with the development of the Seattle Engineering Department.
Completed in 1953, this one-story concrete block building is situated towards the rear of a large lot located at the southeast corner of Rainier Avenue South and South Kenny Street. The flat roof structure shares the site with the 1955 Fire Station No. 28, aligned along the front of the lot. The building formerly housed an office, garage and crew quarters for the Seattle Engineering Department. The rectangular plan structure features a one-story office at the northern end, a taller two-bay garage at the center, and a slightly lower six-bay garage at the southern end. The office’s roman brick and stucco exterior contrasts with the plain concrete block exterior of the garage. A shallow flat roof extends across most of the west elevation of the office and covers a glassed in bay at the northern end, an entrance door at the center, and a wider entrance door at the southern end. Concrete blocks line the upper wall between this roof and the office’s overhanging flat roof. The north elevation has a window opening, however the rear east elevations of the office and the adjoining garage present blank walls. The south end wall is also blank. Overhead metal doors are mounted within each garage bay. This utilitarian building displays good physical integrity.

Detail for 5960 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 8113101080 / Inv # SFD001

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Concrete, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Business Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Block No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Politics/Government/Law, Transportation
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Seattle Fire Department, Centennial Commemorative, 1889-1989. Portland, OR: Taylor Pub. Co., c1989.
Seattle Engineering Department. Annual report / Engineering Department, City of Seattle. Seattle, WA: 1944-1964.

Photo collection for 5960 Rainier AVE / Parcel ID 8113101080 / Inv # SFD001

Photo taken Nov 09, 2000
App v2.0.1.0