Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1401 8th AVE / Parcel ID 616990-1007 / Inv #

Historic Name: Thomas, Harlan, House Common Name:
Style: Spanish - Mediterranean Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1909
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
Harlan Thomas (1870-1953) designed this as his own house; it was built in 1909, one of his first projects after arriving in Seattle. Although it was done early in his career, and has been altered, it reflects the European influence that he is particularly known for. He grew up in Iowa and Colorado, and opened an architectural practice in Denver in 1895, after receiving a degree in mathematics and mechanics from Colorado State College. He then spent nearly three years traveling and studying throughout the world, before moving to Seattle in 1906. After building this house he embarked on two major projects, the nearby Chelsea Hotel on Olympic Way and the Sorrento Hotel on First Hill. Both designs show the influence of his European travels. He later partnered with Thomas Grainger, producing such well known works as the Queen Anne, Columbia and Douglass-Truth libraries (1912-15), the Corner Market Building at Pike Place Market (1911-12), Harborview Hospital (1929-31) and several fraternity and sorority houses. His son, Donald Thomas, later joined the partnership. Thomas taught architecture at the University of Washington from 1926 until 1940 and retired from practice in 1949. He died in 1953. It is not clear how long Thomas lived here, although his wife is listed as the owner in 1937. They apparently rented the house while they actually lived close to the University of Washington. The house was purchased by the current owners, the Leyrer family, in 1953.
This house is on the steep west hill of Queen Anne, below the grade of the boulevard, making it difficult to see clearly. Both the east and west elevations have a wide gabled roof, with a stepped parapet in the center. The east elevation appears largely intact, with a distinctive six-light arched window within a large cast stone arch; the outer ring is of stained glass in a vine pattern. An arched entry porch is at the southeast corner. Cladding is pink stucco. At the southwest section of the building, an area that was once a terrace with a pergola has been enclosed, with 1940s-style windows. This southwest section has wood shingle cladding. The flat roof forms a terrace for the main floor. Most windows appear to have been replaced. The original attached garage, with folding wooden doors and a stepped parapet, remains just south of the house.

Detail for 1401 8th AVE / Parcel ID 616990-1007 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 1401 8th AVE / Parcel ID 616990-1007 / Inv #

Photo taken Jul 06, 2004
App v2.0.1.0