Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3260 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004320 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1915
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1915 at a cost of $11,000, this building was designed by Seattle architect, David J. Meyers. Construction began in April of 1915 and was completed by December of that year. Samuel Tritheway owned the building. In 1929, J. Rowan owned the building and added a garage to the property. Lawrence C. and Elizabeth D. Calvert purchased the building in March of 1935. The Calvert’s remained in the building through 1954. Mr. Calvert was vice president of the San Juan Fishing and Packing Company. The Calvert’s previously resided at 3442 Cascadia Avenue South. William L. Troyer purchased the building in May of 1955 for $33,000, and he resided in the building through 1958. The building was subsequently purchased by Mortan E. Bassan for $30,000, Charles Phillips for $30,000, and Dave J. McIntyre for $36,000. David Myers (1872-1936) was born in Scotland and came to Seattle shortly after the fire of 1889. After studying architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Myers returned to Seattle in 1905 as the junior partner of John Graham, Sr. From 1917 to 1920, Myers was a member of the architecture faculty at the University of Washington. Myers was noted for his fine residential work, such as the Truax residence on Capitol Hill. He was with the firm of Schack,Young & Myers from 1920-1929. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1915, this Tudor-Revival style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular corner lot overlooking Lake Washington. The building is oriented to Lakewood Avenue South on a sloping site at street level. This 1796 square foot, two-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 29’ by 58’, with a front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick- (first story) and stucco with half-timber- (upper stories) clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof and dormers. Modest eave and gable overhangs with prominent bargeboards define the roofline. Wood sash casement and double hung windows provide day lighting. A short flight of steps leads to the front gable roofed stoop. Two prominent brick chimneys service the building. The timber detailing and prominent massing set this building apart within the neighborhood.

Detail for 3260 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004320 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Brick - Common Bond Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 3260 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004320 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 15, 2004

Photo taken Mar 15, 2004

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0