Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4304 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400275 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1931
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1931, this building was owned by A. R. Rounds. The building was vacant by 1938. Kuzma and Anna Zuvela lived in the house by 1943 through 1968. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1931, this compact, Tudor Revival single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Thirteenth Avenue South on a flat site above street level. This 1054 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full basement features a square plan, measuring approximately 34’ by 34’, with a 3’ by 9’ front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick- and stucco and half-timber-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Broad overhanging closed eaves with minimal trim define the roofline. Multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. Two flights of stairs lead from the sidewalk to the front stoop. Low brick cheek walls flank the stairs near the stoop. A round arched entry sheltered by a gable roof provides access to the enclosed stoop. A brick chimney services the building. The half-timber detailing in the gable end and the overall composition set this building apart as distinct within the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Detail for 4304 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400275 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 4304 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400275 / Inv #

Photo taken

Photo taken Mar 12, 2004

Photo taken Mar 12, 2004
App v2.0.1.0